Monday, February 5, 2007

The Japanese Language

The Japanese language, I feel, is surprisingly difficult for me. I expected it to be much easier given that Chinese was not very hard to learn. Of course, I can't compare the spoken languages since I've been speaking what most people consider the hardest dialect of Chinese at home ever since I can remember. However, many say that written Chinese is the hardest language since it is pictorial, and there is no way of knowing how to pronounce a word, let alone know its meaning, if you don't have the characters memorized beforehand. Yet, it didn't take very long for me to memorize how to write a set of characters and learn their meanings, even though I hadn't had background in reading or writing. I assumed Japanese would thus be all the simpler, given that there is an alphabet of sorts and all I had to do was memorize the meaning. To my dismay, this was not so. I often confuse the hiragana. Moreover, what I hadn't counted on were exceptions to spelling rules! Who knew long vowels took on a different spelling? And that there are exceptions to this exception?! I asked my Japanese-speaking friend how to tell when there's an exception, and she said, "You just know." Well, I don't know. I guess it might have been a bit foolish to think this would be easy.

1 comment:

satoza said...

こんばんは!

I would say mastering any writing system is not easy. Yes, we use Chinese characters, but gramatically Japaense is very different from Chinese.

Writing is just a matter of convention. There's no logic behind. First it seems to be very challenging, but you will get used to it... I gurantee!

Just remember why you want to study Japanese and come to class regulary... Whenever you get confused or frustrated, use this blog as an outlet, or come to talk to me. I am more than happy to listen to your frustration. :)